Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District employees are once again working with the Beaverton School District and other community partners to create a brighter holiday season for those in need in the Beaverton area.
THPRD will collect toys, clothing and other items for selected families and homeless children within its boundaries. The park district will also collect personal hygiene products and new or slightly used linens for the Union Gospel Mission LifeChange Center for Women & Children in Beaverton.
The public is invited to join employees and support both efforts at THPRD facilities throughout the Beaverton area (see below for drop-off locations). Donations of personal hygiene products will be accepted from Nov. 28 to Dec. 23.
Each THPRD center and administrative facility has a giving tree, wreath or garland with “snowflakes” that specify a variety of wish list items. Donors can take a snowflake and return with a new, unwrapped gift by Dec. 14. All gifts will be distributed to in-need families identified by the Beaverton School District.
One notable change: The annual holiday giving drive will no longer officially include food donations. Park district officials have decided to shift their food drive to next summer.
“What we are hearing from the community is that donations peak during the holiday season but they begin dipping in spring, and the greatest need is in the summer. Our peak community engagement takes place during our summer events. This creates an opportunity to make a bigger impact in how we help households within our district facing food insecurity,” said Doug Menke, THPRD general manager.
Donations to the holiday giving drive will be accepted at the following locations:
- Aloha Swim Center: 18650 SW Kinnaman Road, Aloha
- Babette Horenstein Tennis Center: 15707 SW Walker Road, Beaverton
- Beaverton Swim Center: 12850 SW Third Street, Beaverton
- Cedar Hills Recreation Center: 11640 SW Park Way, Portland
- Conestoga Recreation & Aquatic Center: 9995 SW 125th Avenue, Beaverton
- Elsie Stuhr Center: 5550 SW Hall Blvd, Beaverton
- Fanno Creek Service Center, 6220 SW 112th Avenue, Beaverton
- Garden Home Recreation Center: 7475 SW Oleson Road, Portland
- Harman Swim Center: 7300 SW Scholls Ferry Road, Beaverton
- Sunset Swim Center: 13707 NW Science Park Drive, Portland
- THPRD Administration Office: 15707 SW Walker Road, Beaverton
- Tualatin Hills Athletic Center: 50 NW 158th Avenue, Beaverton
- Tualatin Hills Nature Center: 15655 SW Millikan Way, Beaverton
Formed in 1955, THPRD is the largest special park district in Oregon, spanning 50 square miles and serving about 240,000 residents in the greater Beaverton area. The district provides year-round recreational opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. Offerings include thousands of widely diverse classes, 95 park sites with active recreational amenities, nearly 70 miles of trails, eight swim centers, six recreation centers, and 1,500 acres of natural areas. For more information, visit www.thprd.org or call 503-645-6433.
Director – Communications
|Date: November 27, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Click here for official release (PDF).